Step 2 – Preparing to Blog
“Starting a blog from scratch isn’t rocket science, unless of course, you’re starting a blog about rocket science.” – Kevin. J. Duncan, Blogger.
Target Audience Checklist:
- Age range
- Whether technical? Y or N
“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.” – Haruki Murakami.
Keyword revealer tool
“Ironically, ‘making it look easy’ comes down to learning discipline. You have to make yourself follow the path of an organized writer until it becomes second nature, until you can’t imagine writing any other way.” – David. A. Fryxell.
Step 3 –Fourteen Elements of the Blog
- Must ‘pull’ the reader into reading the blog post.
- Headlines – “XX Reasons Why” and “Question Why” work best.
- Should convey the overall feeling or emotion of your post.
- Illustrate a metaphor that is a part of your main idea.
- Evoke surprise or curiosity.
- Complement your headline.
- Make your reader smile.
- Start off with the quote, question and statistic or success brief.
- Follow up with a justification of why to read the article.
- Write 4 -6 paragraphs of good quality content.
- Split content into sections with sub-headings
- Include bulleted lists
- Combination of above
- Weave a combination of 7 emotions: awe, anger, anxiety, fear, joy, lust, and surprise into body content.
Call to Action (CTA)
- Your CTA should be clear, direct, visible, and actionable.
- Have 2-3 CTAs ready to plug into any blog post or use the subscribe button.
- Helps build the credibility of the writer.
- Should contain a brief about the writer including a nice image.
Comments & Social Shares
- Using WordPress? Choose a simple comments plugin. For others – add a comments system like Disquswith captcha to prevent bots.
- Reply quickly and never get flustered by poor reviews or negative feedback.
- Ask your readers’ questions and share links to other articles in your answers.
- Set up easy social share buttons.
For lesson (4) – click here
For lesson (3) – click here